Monday, May 7, 2007

Virginia City


We arrived in Virginia City in a state of extremis. For a time I thought we'd be burying Ludlow at the side of the Trail. Upon our arrival I was fortunate enough to locate a Chinese laundry, and obtain what the kindest thing was to be for him. I found him sitting on his bed in the hostel gazing at his pistol, which I removed from him and bade the half-breed lady inn-keeper to draw him a hot bath, whilst I went in search of the evil that cured him. He slept for seventeen hours, which held us back considerable but gave me time to reconnoitre and learn the source of our troubles, the notorious Tiburio Vasquez, lately released from jail in California and evidently back on the Trail taking what he can, and destroying all the rest. Wells Fargo continues to operate these Posts at what cost, the profits must be enormous. Young Smith kept his wits about him on this journey, and no doubt saved us from further trouble, otherwise I might not be here to write this.

No comments: