Monday, May 7, 2007

Sierras


The tediousness of the company could little dim my enthusiasm for these magnificent ranges. In three days, with luck and persistence, we may reach the American River goldfields, and from there in a few more days, the Golden Coast of California and San Francisco. We will drive for Sacramento and from there, a steamer down to the City and then, home and all that awaits. I have heard that there are steamers to Panama City, and from there, a new railway has been built over the isthmus of Panama which takes but three hours, and not the usual three days by native mule. I may be home with Rosalie inside a month, if only I may free myself of this company. I am anxious to learn fresher news of the course of the War, and to see if there are any new instructions for me. I am on fire to return to New York at the earliest opportunity.

No comments: